Thursday, September 06, 2007

Your Session has Expired (and the response)

I can think of numerous times I've written a long e-mail and then went to send it, and it says that my session has expired and I lose everything. I'm to the point where I think I need to "copy" all text written before I send, so if it does kick me off, I can just paste it into another one. It just burns my ass because 1) I type slow anyway, just a step above hunt and peck, and 2) some thoughts are just captured in the moment and can't be replaced.

I suggest that all e-mail programs, especially Cox Communications, have some type of back-up program that automatically saves e-mails as drafts until they are sent. Therefore, if you get kicked off, all work is saved. I'm sending that suggestion to them here in a few minutes.

Anyway, just had to vent because it just happened to me, and I don't have the time, patience, or energy to redo it. Sorry, Paul, it was some pretty good stuff.

Cox's response:

Dear Kris,

Thank you for your e-mail. I understand you are having difficulties when trying to log into or use WebMail. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

WebMail is a Web based e-mail client. Because of this, when you are typing a new message, or replying to an e-mail message via WebMail, you are not actually communicating with the WebMail server. If the WebMail server does not hear from you within 30 minutes, it will end the session (log you out), and the information you are typing will not be saved. Clicking a button or link on the WebMail page will send data to the WebMail server, resetting the time counter.

You may correct this problem if you set up the Webmail Time Zone. In order to set up this feature, the link below contains the information: http://support2.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp?sprt_cid=a3244e53-72d4-4a26-92b5-1c694c671488

You can also correct this problem if you type the message in "Notepad" or "Word" first, and then "Cut and Paste" it into your reply in WebMail.

I hope you have found the information above useful. If the difficulty persists or if there are any further inquiries you would like to address, do not hesitate to contact us back for further assistance.

My rebutle:

1) How will setting up the correct Time Zone keep the system from bumping me off? My settings are already correct and I still have the problem.

2) How is typing the message in Notepad or Word convenient for me as a user?

It's obvious that nothing will be done, so I have to do what's in my circle of influence, which means, when I type a long message, I will have to copy it before sending to ensure nothing is lost. Grrrr!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word's the way to go. It even spell checks for you.

4:21 PM  
Blogger ScottyG420 said...

You type long emails? The shit you send me is like 2 lines long! WTF?

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home