Friday, August 24, 2007

The Hood Has Eyez-don't believe the hype

I’m a sucker for gambling on independent films in hopes of finding the next big thing to promote to friends. A few have been a success, like Feed, A Bothered Conscience, Shortbus, Pervert, and To Kako (Evil). But, that’s maybe a mere ten percent of what I put myself through, and although a lot of time and money are wasted, I still can’t seem to quench my curiosity.

So, what does poor acting, ridiculous situations and dialog, over-exaggerated shock cinema, and a dirty sanchez have in common? These are all elements of the horror/exploitation movie, The Hood Has Eyez.

This movie attempts to push the extremes of Last House on the Left, House on the Edge of the Park, and Chaos, while paying homage to I Spit on Your Grave, Thriller: A Cruel Picture, and Japanese patented blood-splatter. However, it fails miserably. The women are supposed to be high school students, but are all probably in their 20’s, every Mexican gang member stereotype is played out here, and the rape/revenge scenes are played out. The surprising thing is that this movie is produced by a female.

If you’re interested in more info on the shock scenes, e-mail me, cause they’re pretty out there and not for mixed company. My suggestion is to steer away from this movie and re-watch the others mentioned above, it’ll be a much better use of time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your post you say:
"If you’re interested in more info on the shock scenes, e-mail me, cause they’re pretty out there and not for mixed company," if the film is meant to shock yet you claim it is bad because of this reason then why would you turn around and say the shock scenes 'are pretty out there and not for mixed company?" That's backwards ass. You also say "The Hood Has Eyez" is trying to be shocking but 'falls short,' how so if again, you claim the content of some of the torture is TOO extreme to post on your blog. Weird "review" if you want to call it that. I read a lot of blogs and YOURS falls short. It only confused me???

1:24 AM  
Blogger K-Fleet said...

A film is not bad because it tries to shock, but can be bad by the way it's carried out. The acting and FX in this film sucked, and the attempted shock scenes were done merely for the sake of it, which unless you have a good story and/or hot naked chicks to back it up, then it just doesn't work for me. And, just because I feel something is too extreme to post in detail for my viewing audience (blog was mainly intended for friends and family), doesn't mean it doesn't fall short. Every person has an opinion, so if YOU liked it, make your own review on it and quit being Anonymous.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home