Saturday, October 13, 2007

Chamillionaire-Ultimate Victory

I'm not going to get on my soapbox and preach how Chamillionaire is stupid for deciding to release a non-explicit-only version of his new CD, Ultimate Victory. I think what Cham wanted to do is prove to the record label that he could still move units without cursing. He even fronted all the money for the album's artwork, as to help sway the label's doubt and out-of-pocket expense. So, maybe it doesn't live up to the Sound of Revenge and it's platinum selling ringtone, Dirty, but hey, it's still a good album, with nice beats and a lot to say.
What I will ridicule, however, is that in several instances, Cham and guests, wrote lyrics that had cursing and the N-bomb in them, yet when rhyming, only insinuated that's what they meant, by using Shhhh, Fuuuu, etc. If that's what you feel, just say it, and don't beat around the bush. Don't hold back your true feelings and expressions, just to make a family-friendly album. If you believe you're teaching white suburbia to use the N-word, because they're the ones buying your music (and not the hood), then allow them to learn the hard way if they choose to mimic you in the wrong crowd.
I've listened to explicit rap since junior high (1987-89), maybe even earlier, with little regulation from my parents, and appear to have turned out fine. I understood that the music I was listening to was not my reality as a white, middle-class kid, but it was entertaining and edgy and drew me in.
So, I say, leave it up to the fan, no matter what age or race, to choose their direction and fate, but please stay true to yourself and music. If you want to do a kiddie album, fine, but don't imply that you want to drop an F-bomb and not do it just to keep a certain rating.



3 Comments:

Blogger Smokeskrene said...

I don't understand language. Isn't insinuating something just as bad as actually cursing if its meaning is vulgar?

11:55 PM  
Blogger K-Fleet said...

That's what I'm saying, but in today's society, it isn't actually bad unless you let it slip I guess.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Smokeskrene said...

Its like the janet jackson thing. Did anyone really expect to watch and not see boobs? I mean the fact that an inch more than intended was shown and every one thinks its the apocalypse. But if you curse and just say the first and last syllable and leave that vowell sound its suddenly okay to be on the radio.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home