Friday, October 06, 2006

Horror movie review of the week: Takashi Miike's Imprint

So, I finally got a chance to watch Takashi Miike's Masters of Horror entry, Imprint. This was banned by Showtime for being too risque or out-there. Hmmmm....what can I say....it's odd. I think with all the hype around it, that put it on a pedestal it could never live up to. With the aborted fetus, squeaking midget, deformed face woman who has a hand out of her head as a twin, and the American on his quest to find his lost Asian love, I wasn't sure what to think. Maybe Takashi tries to continually out-do himself in shock and awe, even to the point where you have to question his direction and logic. I'll probably revisit it later, and maybe pick up on something subtle that meshes it together, but not anytime soon. I think the fact it was done in English restricted it. I would have gladly read subtitles, if it would have made the interaction and dialog better. Anyone who's read a review on this knows it was a big obstacle during filming. Mr. Miike, continue to make films for your Japanese audience and the Americans will eventually come around to appreciate it. I'd be pissed off at us too for not airing it.

Other films by Tak: Audition, Ichi the Killer, Gozu, Dead or Alive trilogy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home