Sunday, October 01, 2006

DJ P goes Pop?

I've been a big fan and promoter of DJ P, Danny Phillips, since I heard his early works of "blending" on Manipulated Trax. A CD long out-of-print which gave a shout-out to "The Fleetwoods" in the liner notes. Nothing like hearing my favorite 80's music blended with my favorite 80's/90's gangsta rap.

So, I've kept in touch with him over the years, and have all of his CDs, except Out Of Control, which he assures me is being re-pressed. I even have one of the original limited pressings (1000 units) of Uneasy Listening Vol. 1 with Z-Trip. This has been reproduced in England, and also claims to be limited, but I got mine from Danny, so I know it's legit. Last sale on E-bay for an original was like $185, insane! Even though I've seen him evolve and master his craft over the years, I'm still looking forward to the DVD documentary coming soon.

But, after viewing his updated website, I'm a little distraught by the imagery. Is DJ P this inventive, breakdancing DJ who takes chances when others might not, or merely a member of the next boy-band?


I can't believe he was willing to pose like this...maybe it's just the "Vegas touch-up" for a premiere DJ at Studio 54. Either way, it's straight wack! Danny, please get back to your roots, no matter where you plant your turntables.

2 Comments:

Blogger K-Fleet-13 said...

The DJP Story? WTF? If they showed Central now, everybody would think he went to a college preparatory magnet school. His old haunts no longer exist. What story is there to tell now? It's not friggin' 8-mile. Springfield suburbs...HARD-CORE!!!

5:56 PM  
Blogger K-Fleet said...

You aren't going to join the DJP Army?

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home