Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Haterade cup hath runnith over

I'm all for the institution if marriage, and hope to be some day. I also partially believe in "love at first sight," although, it's usually lust driving those emotions instead. But, I gotta speak on a few things I've witnessed lately.

Two female friends, one being an ex-girlfriend, got married on a whim within the last two weeks. It's like one day they're single and not even dating, and the next, it's til death do us part? What?? Has America gone mad? What water source are they drinking from, cause I don't want any! So, to find out the truth and reasoning, I play the devil's advocate.

My first logical question is, "Are you pregnant?" Both times, the answer is NO. Okay, then, what makes you think this is "The One?" Blah, blah, blah, it just seems right, when you find that person, you'll know, blah, blah, blah. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh. So, their stories differ, but seemingly the same. What a better way to say, "I'm seeing someone," than to go to Vegas and get married by Elvis (the Vegas part is true), or to run down to the local courthouse, drop a few bills, and sign off the rest of your single life. Not quite the way it plays out in my head, but to each his own, I guess.

I'm disappointed and dumb-founded because I'm supposed to be a really good friend, but was the last one in the loop. Maybe it's because I'm so critical, but that's what friends are for, right, to let us know when we've screwed up? Ehhhh, I give it 6 months. Sad thing is, they didn't even have time to spend in the "Awe" phase of every new relationship. You know, the get to know ya stage with long talks on the phone, New Edition lyric feelings (If it isn't love, why do I feel this way...), love letters, etc. The "you can do no wrong" period. Not that that doesn't happen throughout long-term relationships/marriages, but that phase is simply irreplaceable and a building block for the Big Time.

But, I'm not here to preach about love, because looking back on my own relationships, I'm not sure I can answer what it really is either. I just believe there's a period of dating that should occur in order to determine compatibility and life-plans. So, good luck to my two friends who've taken the next step into adulthood. I really do wish them the best, but will be there to say, "I told you so," if it doesn't work out. No love lost, Tabs and Katy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris,

Seven years and going strong! I hope you too one day will find marriage life as good as I do. I know it has been a very long time since we have communicated. Still hope the best for you.
Tabs

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home